Sunday, June 24, 2012

Collision Course by S.C. Stephens



From Goodreads:
Lucas had it all – popularity, a devoted girlfriend, a brotherly best friend, and a loving mother who would do anything for him. His life was right on course to be a successful and fulfilling one, until the crash changed everything. It happened late one night during a sudden downpour. That evening, three young lives were lost and one life was left irrevocably altered. As the lone survivor, Lucas finds himself surrounded by swirling gossip of reckless drunkenness from the small town he used to warmly call home. Amid his own guilt and self-hatred, Lucas struggles to find hope, find peace, and maybe, even find love again.

Toni's Review: 3.5 Stars
I'm not really sure where to start with this book. Don't get me wrong - I liked it. I liked Lucas, Sawyer, even Darren, Sammy, and Lil, his two best friends and girlfriend who died. I think it was a very realistic look into survivors guilt. I think alot of books similiar to this one, dealing with deaths of loved ones, downplays how devistating that can be. Collision Course didn't do that. It get's major kudos from me for that alone. I liked the dream sequences with his friends, and I think Sawyer was really lovely. My main issue is that it was almost too detailed. So much so that I found myself skimming. Several times I felt I was reading the same day over and over. I wanted to love it, I really did. Especially considering I have a sick love of really depressing books. (It's kind of weird, I know). If a book can make me snot-cry, I am in absolute heaven. I was practically willing myself to cry, because I kept thinking, "This is really sad... it's so f'ing sad... why am I not at least tearing up? CRY DAMN IT!" Sadly, not a tear was shed. It just didn't stand out for me. Not twelve hours after I finished it I had to pop open my Kindle because I couldn't remember Lucas' name. I think had some of the less necessary scenes been taken out I'd have had more to say. As it is, it was just alright for me.       



0 comments:

Post a Comment